Springfield Herald – looking for update on digitization progress

Forums Historic Newspapers – General Springfield Herald – looking for update on digitization progress

Participant

Hi there, I am looking for information about a Joe H Thompson, who ran into trouble with the law in Aug of 1907, can you tell me if the digital records for the Springfield Herald will be coming online? The event occurred in Stonington, just south of Springfield. Thanks!

John

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Replies
    Regan
    Keymaster

Hi John –

Thanks for your message. The way that titles are added to the CHNC is through what we refer to as Community funding. This means that additional content is created through funding provided by community partners, mainly Libraries, museums, and associations throughout the state. The Colorado State Library uses portions of our federal and state funding to support the infrastructure for the services – meaning the staff required to project manage the maintenance and additions to the database, and a systems administrator to maintain the technology. But the addition of new content needs to be added through funds provided by our community partners.

Looking at the current content of the CHNC, we do not have any Springfield Herald included. However – History Colorado – Hart Research Library does have microfilm of the Springfield Herald from January 1897 – June of 1919. To find what you are looking for currently might require a visit to History Colorado to have a look at the microfilm for that paper.

The Springfield Herald is one of the titles that is currently scheduled to be added to the Chronicling America database of the Library of Congress, as well as CHNC. And although this title is expected to be added to the database any time now – because of the Federal Government shut down – it is in a holding pattern. I know that once the shutdown is finished, the data will be loaded, but I do not know when that will be – and what the back log will be for loading the available data.

I would recommend looking out for the an announcement from us on ColoradoVirtualLibrary.org when these titles – including the Springfield Herald – are loaded. We will announce it as soon as it is available.

I hope this helps!

Regan

John Manson
    Participant

Thanks Regan, that’s very helpful!!

John

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar