Proper names for people, corporations, churches, organizations, and government agencies present special difficulties for searching.
First names were seldom used for married women. Typically, the husband’s first name was used
- Mrs. Herbert Clark
- Mrs. C. E. McConnell
Occasionally, abbreviations were used for some first names
- Wm. G. Faulhaber for William G. Faulhaber
- Chas. O. Sevier for Charles O. Sevier
- Geo. Nickols for George Nickols
- Thos. Cale for Thomas Cale.
- Jos. A. Skerritt for Joseph A. Skerritt
- Robt. E. Palm for Robert E. Palm
Full names were not always used for prominent individuals
- General Palmer instead of William Jackson Palmer
- Senator Tabor., Lt. Gov. Tabor, Lieutenant Governor Tabor, Governor Tabor, Mr. Tabor, H. A. W. Tabor, Ex-Senator Tabor, Mayor Tabor (depending on the newspaper and the year) instead of Horace Austin Warner Tabor
- Packer (no first name) or Al. Packer or Alfred Packer instead of Alferd Packer