OCR missed sections, combined columns, etc.

Forums Troubleshooting OCR missed sections, combined columns, etc.

Participant

I’m working on the Gilpin County Daily Mining Journal. On the second page of the 20 Nov 1863 edition, the OCR scan combined much of the first three columns, but also skipped some parts contained in those columns. How would you like this handled? Usually when I’ve found skipped lines, it has been a single line in a single column and I just add it to the preceding line, but this one has me stumped. There are just too many places that are skipped and it jumps around so much that I don’t know what to do. Thanks for you help. Diana

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Replies
    Regan
    Keymaster

Hi Diana-
    Thanks for the question. This error is is due to older files that were processed many years ago when technology was not as capable as it is today. Also- the quality of the OCR itself is difficult to read. There is not a lot that can be done at this point in time- however we are in the process of upgrading our software to a new version- and there will be the ability to remove the line restrictions all together- allowing additional large chunks of text to be inserted when needed. There are some other issues that come along with that ability- but they are not as awkward as missing text. However- that capability is still a few months away. Con you note where you are in the system now and then go back to it when we have the new ability? You can be our guinea pig as we try it out! 🙂

I hope this helps and thank you so much for taking the time to correct our OCR! You are making the resource better for everyone! We appreciate you.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar